Vanilla Almond Coconut Chia Pudding
In my ever challenging quest to not eat breakfast out (darn Starbucks oatmeal!), I’m seeking quick, easy, healthy breakfasts to make at home….preferably the night before a busy early morning. Oatmeal, either overnight or cold soaked, is one go-to but this week I decided to make chia seed pudding. In honor of my favorite flavors,, I also wanted to incorporate coconut and fresh fruit as well as balance this breakfast with plenty of protein and healthy fat for satiety. So Vanilla Almond Coconut Chia Pudding was born.
[easy-tweet tweet=”Vanilla Almond Coconut Chia Pudding for a quick. healthy breakfast”]
Are you familiar with chia seeds? They’re quite the superfood, famous for their high fiber and omega-3 fatty acid content. Packed with protein as well, these little black seeds are hard and crunchy until submerged in liquid, they develop a mucilaginous coating and a gelatin-like consistency. Don’t bother trying them if you hate a consistency like tapioca but if you’re open to it, you may be pleasantly surprised by this easy and delicious start to the day. Bonus – chia pudding also makes a great afternoon snack or dessert.
- 1/4 cup dry chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond or soy milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon honey (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1 Tablespoon dry roasted (unsalted almonds, chopped coarsely)
- 6 large red cherries (pitted and chopped coarsely (frozen is fine to use!))
- Whisk the chia seeds, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, honey and coconut flakes together, cover and set overnight in the refrigerator. Remove pudding after 2-4 hours and stir well to incorporate any seeds that have settled to the bottom. Add more milk if needed for consistency. Place into two small bowls and top with freshly chopped almonds and cherries and serve cold.
Ginger Hultin,MS, RD, CSO
Thanks for visiting! If you’re like me: obsessed with eating, wine, going out and traveling, you’re in the right place. Champagne Nutrition® LLC is a Registered Dietitian-run concierge virtual practice helping clients look and feel better. On this blog, you’ll ﬁnd cocktails, mocktails, and plant-based recipes that are easy to make quickly at home and pack for leftovers on your adventures.